According to Master Craftsman Bob Vokey, the three keys to great wedge play are shot versatility, distance and trajectory control, and maximum spin. With the introduction of the new Vokey Design SM9 wedges, Bob has developed the “ultimate in optionality” across all three categories with his most complete lineup of loft, grind and bounce combinations. Vokey Design has been the most played wedge on the PGA TOUR every year since 2004.
FORWARD CENTER OF GRAVITY PROGRESSION
Improving upon the groundbreaking Progressive Center of Gravity (CG) design concept originally introduced with the Vokey Design SM8, the new SM9 pushes the envelope again - with even more innovation.
- The new SM9 maintains the innovative forward CG – a position that actually hovers in front of the wedge face - to produce a solid feeling wedge that squares up at impact for more consistent results.
- The CG has been raised vertically by adding weight to the topline design, where a tapered pad at the back of the toe helps align the CG properly without being visible from the playing position.
- Progressive hosel lengths are also used to help raise the CG in the higher lofts, particularly 58°-62°.
- The result is improved distance and trajectory control, and increased stability for more consistency.
REFINED SOLE GRIND OPTIONS
The ultimate in optionality, SM9 continues to feature the most complete lineup of grind, bounce and loft options, allowing for more creativity and consistency, and giving players of any level the ability to create multiple shots into and around the green.
- Developed through decades of work with the best shot makers in the game, Vokey’s six Tour-proven sole grinds – F, S, M, K, L and D – allow golfers of all skill levels to be precisely fit for their swing type (steep, neutral, shallow), shot making style (sweeper, digger) and course conditions (firm, neutral, soft).
NEW PATENTED SPIN MILLED PROCESS FOR MAXIMUM SPIN
A new Spin Milled cutting process in the SM9 models – which includes tightening our allowable tolerances - produces consistently sharper grooves wedge after wedge, resulting in higher, more consistent spin.
- Spin Milled Grooves are the Gold Standard in groove cutting precision - meticulously engineered and cut to the edge to maximize spin and shot control. Each groove on every head is 100% inspected for conformity to the rules of golf.
- Micro-grooves are individually cut in between grooves, which maximizes spin on partial shots. A proprietary heat treatment is applied to the impact area to double the durability of the groove without impacting feel – making it the most durable groove in golf.
- Each groove is individually cut based on loft and finish with the Lower lofts (46°-54°) designed with narrower, deeper grooves and Higher lofts (56°-62°) with wider, shallower grooves.